You’ve heard of phishing, we’re sure. It’s where criminals send you an email, pretending to be someone else (like your bank), to try to get sensitive information from you.
But what about vishing? And smishing? And whaling?
These are all forms of phishing designed to steal your information, and ultimately your money.
Today we’re at risk of scams on many platforms. Here are the top 5 to be aware of.
- 1: Phishing. The original. It’s where criminals send you an email, pretending to be someone else, like your bank, to try to get sensitive information.
- 2: Spear phishing. This is like phishing, but the attacker’s researched you. Learning your name or address to make the scam more believable.
- 3: Vishing. This is the voice call version. Someone’ll call you from an unknown number and pretend to be calling from a familiar company. They’ll try to check the details or get you to make a payment. Hang up, and call the company they pretended to be from.
- 4: Smishing. This is by SMS. They’re trying to get you to tap a link. Look carefully at strange text messages, and never tap the link.
- 5: Whaling. These attacks are planned over a long time and target someone with a high position, such as a CEO. When they work, they’re very lucrative for the criminals.
There are many more. How many have you heard of, or experienced?
We protect our clients from all sorts of scams. When you need a higher level of protection, contact CMIT Solutions today.