2014 is almost a wrap. But before we dive into the promising opportunities of 2015 and relegate the last 12 months to the rearview mirror, let’s revisit the most popular QuickTips topics of 2014. CMIT Solutions wishes everyone a happy, safe, and productive holiday season, hopefully, enjoyed over love and laughter with family and friends. See you in 2015!
1) Significant Industry Impacts from the Death of Windows XP. With the end of support for Windows XP looming in less than 40 days, the wider world is waking up to threats posed by the outdated operating system’s demise. Advocates in the financial and health care industries…(Read more here and here and here)
2) 10 Ways QuickBooks Can Deliver Major Advantages to Your Business. QuickBooks is more than just the most widely used accounting and financial software for small businesses. Intuit’s flagship product, first introduced 20 years ago…(Read more here and here)
3) How Microsoft’s Internet Explorer Fix Reinforces the Need for Proactive IT Management. On Thursday, May 2nd, Microsoft issued an out-of-cycle security update to address the Internet Explorer security flaw publicly disclosed last week. The remote code execution vulnerability lured IE users…(Read more here and here)
4) 5 Technology Lessons Learned from Last Week’s Winter Weather. Last week’s brutal winter weather should serve as a reminder for business owners: even the best-laid plans can be wrecked by natural and manmade disasters…(Read more here and here)
5) High-Profile Data Breaches Reaffirm Need for Small Business Security. December and January were dark days for data security. Just before Christmas, Target announced that credit and debit card info from over 40 million customers had been hacked…(Read more here and here and here)
6) CryptoLocker Ring Broken Up by International Police Action (but the Threat Still Remains). Finally, some good news on the cybersecurity front: after almost nine months of CryptoLocker infecting over 200,000 systems and extracting astronomical ransom payments from affected users…(Read more here and here)
7) 10 Tips, Tricks, Apps, and Add-Ins to Supercharge Microsoft Excel. For years, Microsoft Excel has represented the gold standard when it comes to spreadsheet software. Although firm market share figures specific to Excel use are hard to come by, Microsoft Office…(Read more here and here and here)
8) Russian Hackers Amass One Billion Stolen Passwords—Make Sure Yours Aren’t Next. Many Americans are worried about information security and the safety of their online data. For good reason, too, as news that broke last Wednesday indicates: a Russian crime ring…(Read more here and here)
9) Forgot About HIPAA Compliance? Recent $4.8 Million Fine Should Serve as a Stark Reminder. On May 7, the Department of Health and Human Services Office for Civil Rights rocked the healthcare world by handing down $4.8 million in fines to New York and Presbyterian Hospital and Columbia University…(Read more here and here)
10) What Can the Changing Face of Microsoft Office Do for You? We’ve written extensively in the past about detail-specific tips, tricks, apps, and add-ons for Microsoft Office programs like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. But the powerful Office productivity suite…(Read more here and here)
Looking to finish 2014 and kick off 2015 with a fresh focus on your business’ technology strategy? Call or email CMIT Solutions today!